Percentages

We talked about how to calculate a percentage change. To do this you work out the actual change and divide it by the original amount, then times by 100.  For example if there were 20 children at a park on Saturday and 26 there on Sunday, the actual difference is 6. We divide this by the original number (20) and times by 100 to find that the number of children at the park increased by 30%.  For more examples see this website.

We also talked about using percentage multipliers to make percentage changes.  These are really useful for doing percentage calculations in one line. For example, if a skirt costs £45 and I want to increase this value by 13%, I do:  45 x 1.13 = £50.85.  If a top costs £56 and I want to decrease this value by 6%, I do: 56 x 0.94 = £52.64.  Here's a worksheet which will help you practise this.

Here's the worksheet we did in class.